In my last article, I talked briefly about the $2/day challenge.
For the entire month of May, I’m going to be living on just $2/day.
This made complete sense in my head. It’s how I wanted to promote my $2 stationery design pre-launch. So if you like the design, support the work, or love my writing, consider buying the $2 digital file. Even if you don’t actually write letters or want the stationery, I’m sure you have a lot of wasted and unread e-books like me. Don’t lie! AND it’s only $2 ($1.99 to be exact). Not $167 or $47 or $387 or some combination ending in 7 that’s often overpriced. You know what I’m talking about!
I’ll be sending out a personal email to every one who purchases. Mainly because I think it’s nice to send out personal emails. I don’t have to. But it works out.
Why Do a $2/Day Challenge?
Why not?? I live in the Philippines where it’s totally possible (though the local Filipinos I know who are “middle class” don’t know how it’s possible) and I’ll show you some cultural immersion to let you in on it. I’ll be making a video to report back every week, for example.
- 1. I’m making room for abundance. This month, I’m actually breaking a new monthly income record in my short self-employed history! And I want to actually see the prosperity instead of blow through it.
- 2. I need to detox. I need an emotional detox (I need to stop self-sabotaging my success!). And since spending is often emotionally based, I need a money detox because I generally spend more than I receive and that’s something I need to stop doing. (Baaad, Janet, bad!) I also need to detox on food because it’s the main thing I indulge/spend on (and I have a huge sweet tooth). A thinner wallet is a thinner Janet.
- 3. I want to focus on the gift economy. I don’t want this to be about poverty mindset, but prosperity and abundance consciousness, which means practicing gratitude and acknowledging the gifts all around me that I receive. I work every day to consciously improve my money mojo and it ain’t easy but I AM getting better!
- 4. Weird marketing. I told you I want to promote my $2 stationery and this is how I’m doing it. The idea randomly popped into my head on May Day (May 1st) which was the perfect time to start a 1 month challenge, especially with the historical aspect of gift giving with May Day. I trust my intuition on this crazy idea. So I went for it. I literally woke up, had the thought, and decided I’d only spend $2/day.
I thought I’d set a few ground rules to clarify a few things.
- 1. I can still pay my bills. Uh, yeah, because that would be bad. My bills aren’t $2, and that’ll be exempt from this crazy experiment.
- 2. I can still buy my cat cat litter. Because negligence is not cool. And any necessities should be dealt with
- 3. $2/day means $62 this month. So I will spend $2 a day or less each day and whatever I have leftover will carry through for the next day. And so on and so on. That means I can technically spend more than $2 a day if I accrued enough money. But I can’t go over my $62 budget. Make sense?
- 4. I won’t make my boyfriend do it. At first he was game, but then he thought it was too hard, so I won’t subject him to it. At first I wanted $2/day to include both of us and not just account for one person, but I guess he’s not as crazy as me!
- 5. Gift giving counts. I support the gift economy! This includes eating free meals with the out-laws (ya know, since I’m not married) who live just 2 minutes away. If people want to gift me with food or all-expense paid trip, then I’ll take it. If you want to barter with me for food and an all-expense paid trip, I’ll take it. I might trade some chickens and 1 pig so they’ll shut up every morning. I kid! They’re not my chickens (and I only hear the pigs on special occasions like fiestas aka parties).
How You Can Support Me
1. Allow me to do a guest blog or interview. If you’re a blogger, let me do a guest blog for you (free content) and help me get the word out. Or you can opt to interview me in writing, audio or video!
2. Share this! Tweet this post. Share it on Facebook or g+. Pin my image. Here are some tweets to help you get started. Just copy and paste or click to tweet!
3. Get the Badge Use this badge I designed specifically for the $2/day challenge. You can post it on your own blog.
4. Buy the stationery.
I talked about this in my last article. I am starting a new e-shop portion of my website to sell inspirational stationery/greeting cards and other products. I’ll donate 30% of sales to charity or my own social outreach initiatives. I’m inspired by the website sevenly.org.
|Receive a digital stationery download of my design for just $2 and print out your own stationery as long as you have the file (the regular price will be around $12)!|
|Or get it personalized to your personal address, business address or brand colors for only $20 (the regular price will be around $50 and custom letterhead designs are $100 so $50 is already a steal). BONUS: I will write and send you a personalized thank you letter on the same stationery!|
I will give 30% of all the sales to Her Star Scholars, a New York based non-profit that helps young girls in poverty receive education and proper food in the Philippines and other developing countries.
5. Follow me.
Sign up for free updates on my mailing list, or like me on Facebook. I’ll be posting my updates and e-mailing behind the scenes content on my finance report! As a bonus, I also send out a FREE e-book on my ‘panda chakra sales funnel’.
Leave a comment
What are some of your favorite inspirational or motivational quotes? I may just use them for my next stationery designs. How have you used the gift economy and abundance consciousness to receive miracles every day?